I don't even like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches except on ski days, but somehow this song won my heart the first time Joey sang it to me... on a ski lift. And now we're stuck together, but what could be better?
Goal #28: In 1 week write 15 minutes a day
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I wasn't quite as motivated to accomplish this goal as I thought I
would be. But I did get a Christmas letter and a silly butterfly story out of
it, so that was kind of fun.
There are a few things in life I can always count on- chocolate chips, summer, and Downton Abbey , to name a few. At the bittersweet conclusion of the Masterpiece series Maggie Smith's character reflects: "It makes me smile the way every year we drink to the new year, whatever it may bring." I appreciate her optimism, if not her passive assertion that the future just kind of happens to us. I like to think that we can have a little more control over what happens in our lives, the keyword being *can*. As I listened to those final lines I thought about how bleak the future often seems and how easy it would be to curl up on my couch and watch Downton Abbey reruns while the future happens to me. Meanwhile, I'm inspired by the idea that we can live our lives purposefully. Easier said than done when your life revolves around the demands of two dependent and unpredictable little humans. Two years ago we met our miracle Sadie Rae and two years ago we took her hom...
We were in love with Sadie from the get-go; though to be honest, for the first few weeks I felt like I was babysitting, keeping Sadie's birth mom, Sarah (not her real name) updated with texts and photos every few days. Those were rough exchanges, I'm sure for both of us. Joey and I held our breath during the seven months leading up to finalization in court and Sadie's sealing to us in the temple, especially as more than one well-meaning? individual told us stories about couples they knew who had adopted only to have the birth mother or father change their mind and take the child back. "You never know!" They would say. "But I do hope that doesn't happen with you." Please never, ever tell these stories to adopting couples until after things have settled. They are already aware of the possibility, and they are probably more familiar with the adoption laws surrounding their situation than you are. Sadie goes to court In that vein, it doe...
When Joey and I went to visit my parents in San Diego this past March, Joey decided he wanted to take an orange tree back with us to Heber. Actually, he had made that decision the previous year when all I would let him bring back with us was a palm tree to go with the other palm tree we had brought back the year before that. (Both palm trees, by the way, are still thriving in our living room.) So we bought a Dwarf Navel Orange tree from the local Home Depot, stuck it in the back of our 4Runner, and made the 11 hour drive back to Heber, eagerly anticipating our very own, homegrown oranges. The plan was to take the tree outside on warm days to attract the bees, and bring it back in the house during the frosty nights. But we had a problem- by the time the blossoms had begun wilting away, we weren't sure enough bees had had the opportunity to pollinate our tree. Not to be defeated and after a little research I found out that orange trees can actually be hand pollinated. Quite easily, i...
Comments
Post a Comment